AllMusic Review by Scott Yanow
Although best known for leading quartets that feature top young guitarists (his alumni include Larry Coryell, Pat Metheny, and John Scofield), vibraphonist Gary Burton has actually headed different types of combos since at least 1978. On this ECM date, Burton is joined by altoist Jim Odgren, longtime bassist Steve Swallow, and drummer Mike Hyman. The repertoire is stronger and less introverted than usual, featuring songs by Chick Corea, Mick Goodrick, Carla Bley ("Reactionary Tango"), Billy Strayhorn ("Isfahan"), and Oscar Levant ("Blame It on My Youth"). Swinging sections alternate with more thoughtful pieces, resulting in a particularly well-rounded set.
Easy as Pie is an album by vibraphonist Gary Burton recorded in 1980 and released on the ECM label in 1981.
Another long out of print ECM album, recorded from vinyl, which has never been re-released digitally or on compact disc.
- All compositions by Chick Corea except as indicated
- "Reactionary Tango" (Carla Bley) - 11:40
- "Tweek" - 5:34
- "Blame It On My Youth" (Oscar Levant, Edward Heyman) - 5:43
- "Summer Band Camp" (Mick Goodrick) - 7:47
- "Isfahan" (Billy Strayhorn, Duke Ellington) - 8:05
- "Stardancer" - 8:55
- Recorded at Tonstudio Bauer in Ludwigsburg, West Germany in June 1980
- Gary Burton — vibraphone
- Jim Odgren — alto saxophone
- Steve Swallow — electric bass
- Mike Hyman — drums