AllMusic Review by Scott Yanow
Doug Raney, still just 29 at the time of what was his ninth recording as a leader, is heard in an intimate pianoless trio with bassist Mads Vinding and drummer Billy Hart. Raney's cool-toned style looks back toward his father, Jimmy Raney, but he also displays his own musical personality. He had been touring withChet Baker in a trumpet-guitar-bass trio at the time, so this music is somewhat in that sparse style, withRaney sounding both lyrical and swinging on such numbers as "I Thought About Her," "Laura," "My Old Flame," and the Charlie Parker blues "Perhaps." This album gives one an excellent sampling of Doug Raney's talents.
1. I thought about you (Jimmy Van Heusen)
2. Laura (Johnny Mercer) 8:14
3. Minor Majority (Doug Raney) 15:53
4. Round about midnight (Thelonious Monk) 21:00
5. Come rain or come shine (Harry Arlen) 29:15
6. Solar (Miles Davis) 36:30
7. My old flame (Coslaw/Johnston) 41:12
8. Perhaps (Charlie Parker) 49:23
Doug Raney (guitar)
Mads Vinding (bass)
Billy Hart (drums).
Sound Track Studio, Copenhagen, Denmark